Delirium by Lauren Oliver

So I started having a spazz attack in Personal Finance when I checked my e-mail and saw I got approved to read Delirium :) So I would like to thank NetGalley and Harper Collins for the eARC :)


Title: Delirium
Author: Lauren Oliver
Hardcover, 440 pages
Expected publication: February 1st 2011 by HarperTeen

Goodreads Summary: 


Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love - the deliria - blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.



My Thoughts:


I'm not sure why, but Dystopian lit has really been bumming me out lately.  I wasn't the biggest fan of Matched, and Mockingjay... well, I can't even talk about Mockingjay right now.  Maybe not ever.  (I cried for an hour and a half after reading it)


So when I heard all the raving reviews of Delirium, I was worried that I might be disappointed... And that it wouldn't live up to all the hype.  Well, in my personal opinion, yes.  It does live up to the hype.  


I felt that I could really relate to Lena.  In the beginning, she is very accepting of the way society is, and of the "cure".  The ease of allowing someone to make decisions for you, and this false sense of happiness seems like an easy way to be accepted in society, where all her life she has been followed by the rumors about her mother, the "sympathizer".   I was also completely in love with the romance between Lena and Alex.  It was really sweet, yet had an underlying sense of tension that I loved :) I also loved how it changed Lena, and showed her that love was not some fatal disease, and that love brought out her beauty. 


The ending. OMFG the ending. I'm not going to spoil, but it left me speechless.  And then I was bawling like a baby.  This may not mean much since I cry for EVERYTHING, but even after I was done reading the book, it put me in this weird state where I couldn't really think about anything.  I kinda just spent some time reveling in the awesome.  


*I generally try not to talk about covers since I don't include them in the rating, and authors most of the time don't have anything to do with the cover.  But I noticed, like a week ago, THERE'S A PERSON ON THE COVER.  Yeah, I'm blind.  But I kinda just wanted to point that out.  


Overall: 5/5 stars :) I would recommend to any Dystopian fans, or fans of awesomeness in general.  


I think from now on, I'm going to try to link to some other people's reviews, since I can't write to save my life.  So here is Ginger from GRead's wonderfully written review :)

Comments

  1. Lool! you're so funny. Thanks for the review! :D I can't wait to get this book even more now.

    Btw! I awarded you with the Stylish Blogger Award:http://unputdownablebookies.blogspot.com/2011/01/i-have-been-honored-with-stylish.html Hope you don't mind. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting PrincessReviews! :) Come back often! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dawn Colclasure Guest Post

Tricia Stewart Shiu Guest Post

Blogariffic Blog Hop Information Post!