Victoria Foyt Interview


What inspires you to write?
A burning question usually inspires me, what if? In Revealing Eden (Save The Pearls Part One): what would happen if global warming turned today’s prevailing beauty standards upside down? In the story, because Caucasians have less melanin in their skin to protect them from the sun’s burning rays, they are branded as inferior Pearls. Dark-skinned people, or Coals, have more resistance to the Heat, and therefore, now rule society. Eden Newman, a lithe blue-eyed blonde, would be considered gorgeous in our day, while in the future she has to beg for a mate or suffer an early death. The direction in which my “what if” question took me greatly surprised me, as it often does.

How old were you when your first novel was published?
In my forties, that’s all I’ll say. Looking back, I see that the seemingly circuitous path I took from studying foreign languages and literature in college, to acting and screenwriting and directing afterwards, all provided key tools I would need as a novelist. Meanwhile, I was accumulating invaluable life experiences and insights, which gives a writer his or her unique “voice.” By the time I started my first novel in my thirties, my words flew onto the page, and I haven’t stopped since.

Which films did you co-wrote?
Several indie films, all of which were directed by Henry Jaglom: Babyfever; Last Summer In the Hamptons, Festival In Cannes, Going Shopping and Déjà vu, which is my favorite, and has become somewhat of a cult classic. My work as a screenwriter definitely improved my sense of dialogue and place. It also added a distinctive visual orientation to my writing.

Which have you starred in?
All of the above, except for Festival In Cannes. At the time it went into production, I was busy writing a novel and had to turn down the starring part. It was a tough decision, but finally, I needed to commit to my heart’s desire, which I’m glad I did.

What's your favorite Bath and Body Works scent?
I love Warm Vanilla Sugar—both seductive and comforting. I discovered it years ago at their shop in the charming city of La Jolla and couldn’t resist it.

What is Revealing Eden about?
REVEALING EDEN (Save The Pearls Part One) is a fantasy sci-fi adventure romance that, to my amazement, fulfills all of the requirements of each genre and yet, is a unique page-turner. I didn’t set out with such lofty goals, I simply had to tell Eden’s story, which in truth, is a pastiche of my own fears and dreams. Doomed unless she mates soon, Eden Newman, a white Pearl, hopes a Coal from the dark-skinned ruling class will save her. But when she unwittingly compromises her father’s secret biological experiment, perhaps mankind’s only hope, Eden is cast out—into the last patch of rainforest and also the arms of a powerful beast-man she believes is her enemy, despite her overwhelming attraction to him. To survive, Eden must change—but only if she can redefine her ideas of beauty—and of love.  

Which was your favorite magazine to be in?
I was thrilled when my publicist announced that I was going to be in Vogue! I immediately decided to lose 5 pounds, but I was in Italy at the time. Who can diet there? I fretted about what to wear and was very relieved when I learned that the magazine’s stylist would bring a selection of clothes. Great, as long as they didn’t bring bathing suits, I joked. The day came and two lovely stylists arrived at my house with several wardrobe trunks. I watched with great anticipation as the women unpacked the items, setting out Louboutin shoes, which had just started to become popular, accessories, and then, oh no—a rack full of bathing suits! I stared dumbfounded at the skimpy suits. It was a mistake. Didn’t they know I’d had two kids? I hadn’t prepared anything else to wear and, near tears, began frantically to root through my closet. Finally, the editor and I pulled together something simple that, in the end, reflected my style best. It was so much fun.  

Who was your favorite talk show host? Why?
I adore Oprah! She’s so authentic and powerful. She radiates real beauty. I praise her efforts at encouraging reading. And I admire her motto: “live your best life”, which isn’t about competition, but being true to yourself. When I wrote an article for her magazine, O at Home, the efficiency, professionalism, and positive nature of her staff impressed me, and seemed to reflect Oprah’s great qualities.

Can you describe Lexie Diamond?
Lexie Diamond believes that cyberspace is the key to a realer reality than the so-called real world, or “Bubble,” in which everyone else is trapped. She has a hard time understanding why people don’t see how fake their lives are, or why their “Monitor A” type speech clearly doesn’t match the subtext she “hears” on “Monitor B” Disaffected and socially inept, she finds solace in her alter-ego, a computer she names Ajna-Mac (ajna is the Sanskrit word for third eye.) Then a tragic accident rocks Lexie’s cyber-driven world and forces her to navigate the real world. With the help of an unexpected ally—her first actual friend—not only is Lexie drawn in a mystery surrounding the accident, but she discovers more magic in the Web that she ever dreamed possible. Along the way, her beliefs are challenged, her family is turned upside down, and her future is threatened. Finally, Lexie must decide what is real and what is virtual.

Do you have more of an East-Coast style or more of a West-Coast style?
My style is more tropical, an island mentality. I grew up in Coral Gables, a suburb of Miami, just off Biscayne Bay, and spent my days swimming in warm water, often eating lobsters that my brothers caught off of our dock. That sense of freedom and oneness with nature has never left me. Even in the midst of intense production or social activity, I can tap into a wellspring of inner peace that I discovered when sailing on calm seas.

Which book was the most fun to write?
REVEALING EDEN (Save The Pearls Part One) was a thrill to write. One of the great gifts of being a writer is what your characters reveal about yourself. Eden Newman, the seventeen-year-old protagonist, uses her head, not her heart, to navigate the world. I definitely have had to work at opening my heart and, like her, to stop judging myself based on my appearance. I loved watching Eden transform from this oppressed, frightened girl to someone who is willing to embrace her strength, her inner beauty and even, true love. And then, I really enjoyed creating her surly love interest, beastly Bramford, who turned out to be so hot!

Which character from any movie, or any book, or any television show are you most like and why?
I’ve always identified with Lucy from the Peanuts comic strip. She is slightly out of touch with social cues and clearly in need of some TLC.

Is there anything else you'd like to say?
I love to hear from readers! Please visit me at VictoriaFoyt.com or at facebook.com/VictoriaFoyt. And thanks for all the cool videos you’ve uploaded at SaveThePearls.com. You make it all worthwhile.

Victoria Foyt, PrincessReviews's Tasha Nicole

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dawn Colclasure Guest Post

Tricia Stewart Shiu Guest Post

Blogariffic Blog Hop Information Post!